Wednesday, July 20, 2005

An interview with Masoumeh Shafiei, Akbar Ganji's wife

Releaseganji.net:
There are days when one should not talk about politics at all. Politics becomes exactly like the photo of the 20-some-year-old youngster from Mahabad. The one who was first shot down, and then dragged on the ground as a lesson for others. The photo is a concentrate of pain. A concentrate of hatred and savagery. The pain of that who perished; the hatred and savagery of that who dragged him.

Today, I wanted to talk to Masoumeh Shafiei, Ganji's wife, about "Rezvan." About "Kimia." Ganji's daughters. I wanted to talk about the home that is yearning for the father. About the home, into whose foundation the termites of anxiety have been long chewing. They did not allow it. The phone had a third guest: "The gentlemen are listening," Masoumeh Shafeie said. READ MORE

Masoumeh Shafeie, Akbar Ganji's wife, has had her share of hardship Five years full of anxiety. Everyday something was up. Each one added to the anxiety. And now there is much more: "I went to see him today. They didn't let me. They said you should wait till next Thursday. Mr. Soltani, Akbar's lawyer, wasn't let in either, though had no legal prohibition.

Why didn't they allow it?

Because they don't want the news to leak out. When I saw him 3 days ago, he weighed 53kg. He had worn out. His general health was down.

Are these photos real?

Yes, and they are taken when he was 55kg.

How are they sent out?

In a thousand ways. Five years ago when he was in the solitary, he would send out letters. Now he is in the general ward. 300 inmates are there. The prison personnel are there too. In a thousand ways...

It's as if the photos talk to the viewer...

They show that we were telling the truth. I asked the officials a few times to let some journalists and impartial people to visit Ganji in prison. They didn't accept it. Now everyone knows. They denied his hunger strike before. Then they said he is on hunger strike and this is an offense. Once they said he is not even sick. And then they said he has visited the prison doctor more than a thousand times. That is, they correct their lies one by one. They themselves make crisis...

Sorry, what did you say, I didn't hear you.

I said they themselves make crisis, now they have to solve it themselves.

How long does Ganji want to continue? He has certainly heard about the letters and messages...

Yes, and he thanks everyone very much. Inside and abroad. Individuals and organizations. For or against. When I told him about the incidents in front of the University [Tehran University] he was very saddened. Tears came to his eyes. But he can't do anything. Hunger strike is the last resort left for him. He says, "I don't have an unreasonable request. Why do they prevent my treatment. I'd served 5 years in jail, I'd serve the next few months too. But I need treatment now. They do not allow it. So I'm forced go on with the hunger strike."

Tell us about yourself. How did it go for you and the children?

Very hard. Those who have someone in prison, know our conditions well. We are anxious all the time. Anxious for Akbar's safety. The news are various and conflicting. They bother us a lot. The children have a hard time too.

How old are they?

Kimia is 16. When they arrested his father, she was a kid. It was harder for her.

Rezvan is 21 and a student.

She was also in her critical teen ages...

That's right. These years were horrible for the children.

How did you deal with this situation

I was both a mother and a father. But I am a human too, and can't do more than my mental and physical strength anyway. But, in fact I have set aside myself and all the natural and human needs a woman might have. I have done my best to keep the home's mood happy. We haven't done anything these years waiting for the father to return. Without him we haven't gone on any trip, and have waited his return.

He's come home on leave these years...

Yes, his first leave was after August 10 [no year is given], and only for 5 days. When he was going back, it was our hardest moments. My younger daughter was depressed for a while.

I'm sorry, if your handset is wireless, please do not move around, the voice is scrambled

I'm not moving, the gentlemen are listening.

There is noise though

It's them. They don't want our voices to be heard.

Okay! By the way, why didn't you speak all these years?

Because we believed this problem must be solved from within. But the gentlemen drove us here and we were forced to ask for help from international organizations.

The voice is scrambled again

They are listening.

you were saying...

Now Akbar has no way but to continue. It's hard, but worth it. We are hoping these moves have an effect in improving Iran's political situation.

But what if they don't? What if God forbid... have you thought about it?

Yes, I think about everything, but I'm optimistic. It keeps me up.

Don't you want to talk to the new officials?

I have done all I could. The new officials are also informed. Of course, the structure of the judiciary hasn't changed. In any case, the new president can use his legal right to prevent violations of the law.

Who can solve this problem

The first person of the country. Everything goes back to him. As soon as he moves his lips, the problem is solved. All eyes are directed at him, in light of Akbar's letters. It is also an international issue too, and they shouldn't pay a high price for one political prisoner. That's rational. All this talk is not in their interest.

Imagine you could talk to the first person of the country now. What would you say to him?

I have nothing new to say. Whatever I say is now a repeat.

By the way, what do you think about Mr. Khatami's talking about conditional parole?

This is not correct, since from a legal point of view, conditional parole does not apply to Akbar. This the second time he's gone to jail. On the other hand, Akbar says asking for conditional parole means admitting the charges. This is for those who are guilty.

So why are you optimistic?

I am always like that. Now they have seen Ganji's steadfastness and must do something. Otherwise what could happen may be hard to compensate. If, God forbid, something happens to Akbar, I don't think they will benefit from it.

By the way, these last few days Mr. Ganji came home, could the family be with him?

no. Not at all. We were never alone
. All the friends came. I like it too. It's a bit hard to prepare, but it's all good.

What would you like to happen tomorrow. It's a matter of today and tomorrow anyway

The problem be solved for all political prisoners. You know, I am embarrassed when I see the family of some prisoners. Execution, torture, long years in prison, ... For this reason, I wish that the problem is solved for all prisoners and no one is left in prison.

Are your visits through the windows?

No. They are in person.

Alone?

The gentlemen are always present...

Sorry I didn't hear you.

I said the gentlemen are present.