Monday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 4.24.2006:
Iran corrects itself: No deal with Russia.
- Reuters reported that Soltanieh, Iran's envoy to the International Atomic Energy Agency, said that Iran and Russia have not reached uranium enrichment agreement.
- FOX News reported that their latest poll indicates that the U.S. should have Iran war plans ready.
- Elaine Shannon, Time reported that ahead of this week's U.N. Security Council deadline for Iran, U.S. officials have been mapping a plan to hit the defiant regime. But the attacks will be financial, not military.
- Los Angeles Times reported that Iran's key ally in the current nuclear crisis is not Russia or China. It's oil.
- Amil Imani, Amilimani.com, an Iranian blogger argued it is ironic that while President Bush is sinking in the polls in his home country, his popularity is climbing in Iran. But he asks: Is the United States serious about Iran?
- Telegraph reported that Robert Joseph arms control chief warned that Iran is "very close to the point of no return" in acquiring the technological expertise to make a nuclear weapon and "that the Iranians have put both feet on the accelerator."
- IranMania reported that leaders of oil-rich Persian Gulf Arab states will hold their annual mid-year "consultative" summit on May 6 with the Iranian nuclear crisis on the agenda.
- The Jerusalem Post reported that Interim Prime Minister Ehud Olmert warned that Teheran's ambitions threaten not only Israel but all of Western civilization.
- Amir Taheri, Arab News reported on the Middle East's undeclared war and the question of whose regime will change first, the US's or Iran's.