Monday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 9.25.2oo6
Is Iran about to launch a war in northern Iraq?
- DEBKAfile reported that a new Middle East war is in the offing with Turkish and Iranian air units are poised for an imminent coordinated invasion of the northern Iraqi Kurdistan. The report claimed Iranian and Turkish assault troops are already deployed 7-8 km deep inside Iraqi territory.
- Reuters reported that France said that EU foreign policy chief Javier Solana and Iran had weeks rather than months to agree an agenda for talks about Tehran's nuclear program.
- IranMania reported that its researchers have built an anti-aircraft laser warning system for increasing the defense capability of the Iranian Armed Forces.
- Peoples Daily reported that a new generation of drones was delivered to Iran's armed forces.
- Bill Samii, Eurasianet reported that the election for the Assembly of Experts is getting bitter as a battle between Rafsanjani and Ayatollah Mesbah Yazdi.
- Lally Weymouth, The Washington Post published her conversation with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.
- Mark Steyn, The Orange County Register considered the question: Why shouldn't Iran have nuclear weapons?
- Richard N. Haass, Los Angeles Times in an article titled: Speaking With the Enemy, attempted to explain why his invitation of Ahmadinejad to meet with CFR members was a good idea.
- Eric Allie, Townhall published a cartoon: Chavez and Ahmadinejad - In love.