Saturday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 8.5.2006:
Iran admits to sending missiles to Hezbollah in Lebanon.
- Yahoo News reported that according to Jane's Defence Weekly, Iran will supply Hezbollah with surface-to-air missile systems in the coming months, boosting the guerrillas' defences against Israeli aircraft.
- The Jerusalem Post reported that Iran admitted for the first time that it did indeed supply long-range Zelzal-2 missiles to Hezbullah.
- Yahoo News reported that Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora in remarks published has accused Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki of "going over the limit" by criticising his plan to end the war between Hezbollah and Israel.
- Daveed Gartenstein-Ross, The Weekly Standard explained: Why The Jihadist's Fight, in a review of Professor Mary Habeck's book Knowing the Enemy: Jihadist Ideology and the War on Terror. A must read.
- Adnkronos International reported that Iranian authorities banned the human rights group founded four years ago by a group of lawyers including Nobel Prize laureate Shirin Ebadi.
- Reza Pahlavi demanded the release of all Iranian political prisoners in Iran after the death in prison of Akbar Mohamadi, the Iranian dissident, this week.
- Alan Peters, AntiMullah published a retrospective on his reign on the occasion of the twenty-fifth anniversary of the death of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi (1919-1980). He compared the Monarch to what followed.