Monday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 4.3.2006:
Is the regime changing tactics as it shows off its "big sticks?"
Today's stick: its underwater missile.
- Reuters reported that a senior Iranian naval commander Iran has test-fired a sonar-evading underwater missile that can outpace any enemy warship.
- Ilan Berman, American Foreign Policy Council reported that Iran is assembling a new class of hybrid intermediate ballistic missiles that bring nearly every city in Western Europe within striking distance.
- Reuters reported that Iran blasted the U.N. Security Council for trying to pressure it into halting its uranium enrichment work but pledged to keep cooperating with the IAEA.
- USA Today reported that Condoleezza Rice said the United States was committed to pursuing a diplomatic solution to the Iranian nuclear crisis, but added: "However, the president of the United States doesn't take his options off the table."
- Sunday Mirror reported that a network of terror camps has been set up in Iran to train insurgents to kill British troops in Iraq.
- Iran Focus reported that Iran's security forces have arrested several student activists responsible for the publication of campus newspapers in two Iranian universities.