Thursday, July 14, 2005

Ganji & Khatami

Ali Mohammad Abtahi, Webneveshteha:
Last night was one of the most difficult nights I had spent on net when I saw the photos of Ganji. Although I had seen him in less than a month, I could not recognize him indeed this time.

I had just come back from the meeting of the president with journalists and at the end of the meeting, I had talked with president Khatami on the issue of Ganji. Specially when it was announced in the same meeting that journalists are told not to cover any news pertinent to Ganji and efforts for releasing him. READ MORE

President Khatami said in an interview: I ask Ganji to write a letter asking for freedom and I ask Ayatollah Shahroodi to set him free. I called Ms Ganji to sympathize with her. I asked her opinion about writing the letter. She said if he was to write the letter he had written it earlier, not now in the last months of his imprisoment. That was convincing. Although we are looking at the humanistic side of the story and are worried for Ganji, but his family have a more important right to be worried for him.

Today I printed Ganji’s photos and while being accompanied by Ali Khatami, Mohammad Sadr, Tajzadeh, Aminzadeh, Reza Khatmi, Valeh and Khoshroo, we went to the president’s office. He was also very much influenced. He said: last night when I talked about the letter, I did not know these explanatations. He got so worried that he left the meeting in the middle to make some urgent calls.

The president talked with Ayatollah Shahroodi. The president declared his readiness to write any letter required to have the problem solved. Khatami and others felt a bit more hopeful about the future. This was a big attempt by the direct presence of the president and the help of Mr Shahroodi. This humanistic story has engaged president’s mind thoroughly in the last days he is holding the office.

The story which could be settled inside if managed appropriately paved the way for foreign interfrence and insults.

We hope that Ganji would be set free as soon as possible and this makes his family and friends happy.