Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Disaster: DoctorZin's Laptop Died

Monday, I had a disaster. My laptop died and cannot be repaired. This is the second laptop I have gone through this year.

Given the nature of my work and the extensive hours put into this news service (I have invested 6-10 hours daily, 7 days a week since 2003, plus a full time job), I need a new laptop if I am to be able to continue.

Why a laptop? So I can post throughout the day. But I have been using a laptop because if I spend 6-10 hours after work in an office and can't be around with my wife and family I won't have either.

I have never made a specific request before, but I love this work and want to continue. Therefore, am asking you for help.

What do I need? I need a powerful and reliable replacement laptop.

How much do I need? I am not sure yet. I need a laptop with lots of memory and processor power. I need this because I typically have 40-50 windows open at the same time. This creates a huge drain on the computer’s resources. The laptop also needs to have a good track record for reliability. I can’t afford to have another disaster like this again any time soon. (Typically a good laptop runs from $1,200 to $2,200).

If other bloggers or techies have any suggestions on laptop models, I would appreciate your thoughts.

But right now I need contributions. I will keep a running total of what comes in and where we are in reaching this goal. If you are part of an organization that would like to help, email me.

The best way to contribute is to use PayPal with the link below.



In the meantime, my posts will be rather limited. I am using a desktop computer and this means I cannot spend any where near the time I typically spend on this work. I apologize. I will work to catch up as soon as possible.
If you believe in this work, please help now.

Update: $700 received so far.

Thank you for your support.