Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Forced Television Confessions

Rooz Online:
The request by Ali Afshari, a leading member of Daftar-eTahkimVahdat, Iran's largest student organization, to hold an open court hearing regarding the charges against him were turned down. The arguments against it were that since there are currently no laws defining political rights, a court hearing cannot be held. READ MORE

Afshari spoke to ROOZ Online about the issues.

Q- What was the justification of the court for not holding an open public trial?

AF- The judge insisted that my case is not political and it is a case against national security therefore it can not be a public trial. However, based on article 168 of Iran's constitution, the trial should be open and in the presence of a jury. I also reiterated that since the public watched the fake television confessions, they now have the right to witness my trial. If broadcasting my confessions on national TV was not deemed a threat to national security, then my trial in court too should not pose a national security threat. The confessions were not my free expressions. I was forced to say them through torture. Furthermore, my public defense is a good opportunity to defend the true innocence of the student's movement that has always been under attack.

Q- What is the current status of the student's movement and where it is heading?

AF- The student's movement will continue to have its own critical views of what is going on. I anticipate that it will become even more radical in the coming months. More specifically, I think student activities will change their focus to student living etc issues. Social issues thus will take precedence over national political issues.

Q- What will be the sensible action and reaction of the government?

AF- The most sensible behavior of the government towards the student's movement is to acknowledge the rights of independent activities of the movement, and, accept the facts and demands of students. However, if the government decides to confront and ignore the legal rights of students, tension will increase and shift into a radical mood and the student movement will turn into underground activities.

Q- Your letter addressed to the head of the chief of the Judiciary was moving. Tell me what you think today?

AF- This is a wound that will not heal. I carry the scars with me. It’s a bitter experience to make forced confessions on issues that one does not believe in. The only thing that brings me peace of mind is that I was able to bring myself out of this trap.