Tuesday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 9.26.2oo6
"Islam is not compatible with democracy.” - The next Supreme Leader?
- The New York Times reported concern that Ayatollah Mesbah Yazdi, is trying to expand his already growing power by packing the "assembly of experts" (which has the power to elect the Supreme Leader) with his loyalists. He said: “Democracy means if the people want something that is against God’s will, then they should forget about God and religion.”
- Ardeshir Dolat reported that the BBC radio 4 in Britain has started a campaign of misinformation on Iran. Its report ‘Uncovering Iran’ appears designed to convince the British public that Iran respects human rights, democratic principles and values. Listen to the report.
- Amnesty International published an Urgent Action report on the imminent execution in Iran of Kobra Rahmanpour.
- Amnesty International also published an Urgent Action report on their fear for the safety, medical concern and torture of student activist Ahmad Batebi.
- Amnesty International said it is greatly concerned by new arrests and detentions in Iran targeting human rights activists, minority community activists and others peacefully exercising their rights to freedom of expression and association.
- International Federation of Journalists reported that it is concerned by news that the Islamic Republic is intimidating journalists in Iran who travel overseas by alleging they are engaged in spying.
- Iran Press News reported that Iranians gathered at the Tehran U.N. offices to protest imminent execution of 3 women by the regime where the guards attacked protestors and brutally battered them.
- Iran Press News reported that the human-rights-violating Islamic regime has once again issued the death sentences of seven residents of the province of Sistan-Baluchestan.
Iran Press News reported that Keyvan Ansari, former secretary of the Amir Kabir University student association was arrested.
- Iran Press News reported that Pourya Nejad-Veysi, a corruption busting journalist and segment producer the Islamic Republic’s own television news reports has been arrested. A revolutionary court sentenced him with the high crime of “taking action against the security of the regime.”
- Iran Press News reported that the organization for the defense of human rights in the province of Kurdistan confirmed the prison sentence and flogging for their organization’s member and political activist, Loghmon Mehri.
- Iran Focus reported that State Security Forces (SSF) in the western city of Hamedan announced that they would crack down on people eating in public during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, forcing offenders to dig graves.
- Iran Press News reported that the Islamic Republic’s general attorney, described the murders of the two young activists and political prisoners Akbar Mohammadi and Valiollah Fayz-Mehdavi, as appropriate, goes on to specify: “Not only is this a warning, it should be absolutely construed as a threat [to all Iranians opposing the Islamic regime]."
- The Jerusalem Post reported that the chief of Iran's Atomic Organization said: "Iran will complete the establishment of its nuclear power station at Bushehr in half a year."
- Iran Press News reported that Russian media announced that the Islamic Republic intends to purchase yet another five passenger planes from Russia.
- MosNews reported that Russia has offered to sell a range of surface-to-air missile systems to protect Iran’s nuclear facilities.
- The Times Online reported that Egypt and Turkey are pressing ahead with plans to join the nuclear club, amid fears that Iran’s atomic program could trigger a nuclear race across the Middle East.
- The Washington Post reported that U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice said she did not support a gasoline embargo on Iran as a way of punishing Tehran.
- Michael Ledeen, The National Review Online noted that that religion — not so long ago pronounced irrelevant by most everyone in proper society — now dominates the global debate. Even a Communist like Hugo Chavez used religious terms to denounce W., perhaps because he is now in a tag team with Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, who speaks for a theocracy. And now the Pope...
- Paul Gigot, The Wall Street Journal interviewed Reza Pahlavi on the growing showdown with Iran. He said: "The minute [the Islamic Republic] stand back from their aggressive position on the nuclear issue and what have you, they will instantly lose credibility and support within their own militia, which is really the basic foundation and power base of this regime."
- Reuters reported that Israel is debating taking the veil off of its nuclear weapons program in order to deter Iran from the use of nuclear weapons against it.
- Iran Focus reported that Iran’s President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad sacked his Minister of Welfare and Social Security, marking the first time the radical president has ousted a cabinet member.
- IranMania reported that some 800,000 foreigners are working in Iran illegally.
- Iran Press News reported that Islamic Republic organizations actively financed the Lebanese Hezbollah.
- You Tube featured a video of a demonstration at Fox New LA to save Nazanin & Kobra from execution.