Sunday, February 13, 2005

A Weekend Briefing on Iran

The past week was filled with important new developments in the US effort to deal with the Iranian nuclear threat.

This past week, I was in Washington DC, attending an intelligence conference. Members of the FBI, CIA, NSA, Defense and state and local law enforcement were in attendance. It was a rare opportunity to gain insight into US intelligence on Iran. But since our conversations went late into the night my blogging for the week was light. (Fox news Eric Shawn has prepared a report on the conference for its Sunday morning "Weekend Live" I was told.)

Unfortunately, the blogosphere appears not to have noticed some of the important developments of the past week.

The week was full of confirmation that what I predicted in my recent post, Reading the tea leaves - Bush's Strategy on Iran, is accurate. In that post I argued that the US is advancing a non military solution in Iran, by supporting the people of Iran's desire to remove the regime through a referendum (a vote on theocracy or democracy). I further argued that the US is seeking to gain Europe's support in this effort by working together to advance human rights in Iran.

So here are a few of the often overlooked headlines.