Saturday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 2.25.2006:
While Iran blames the US. Israel and Britain for the bombing ...
- Iran Focus reported that the Supreme Commander of IRGC accused the United States, Britain, and Israel of carrying out Wednesday’s bomb attack.
- John Batchelor, The American Spectator Blog reported that the best signals source points to the Samarra mosque bombing in Iraq as the launch operation of the Iranian counteroffensive.
- Kamangir (Archer) argued that there are similarities between the attack on Samarra and an earlier attack on a holy site in Iran where one of the regime's intelligence officers confessed to attack but was seeking to blame that attack on opponents of the regime.
- Iran Focus reported that many Sunni groups believe that Iran’s Ministry of Intelligence and Security may have been behind the bombing.
- Iran Press News reported that the Islamic regimes radio, IRIB, in an analysis, attested to planting bombs in holy Shiite areas in Iraq to create chaos and crisis.
- Chester, The Adventures of Chester argued that war with Iran may have already begun.
- Asia Times reported that after the attack several al-Qaeda members in Iran have been moved to safe houses run by Iranian intelligence near Tehran.
- The White House published the text of Bush's speech before the American Legion where he said: "Iran is a nation held hostage by a small clerical elite that is isolating and repressing its people, and denying them basic liberties and human rights."
- Iran Press News reported that two Iranian dissidents, Valiollah Fayz-Mahdavi and Asad Shaqaqi, said: "Within the last 24 hours we have been told that we will kill ourselves either with knives or with cleaning liquid!"
- Amnesty International reported that executions in Iran are continuing at an alarming rate.
- Reuters reported that leaders from Russia and China traveled to Iran on Friday to persuade Iran to accept a compromise proposal over its nuclear program.
- ISN argued that the arrest of some 1,000 Sufi worshippers is due to an increasing popularity of Sufism in Iran.
- Channel News Asia reported that Iran is now operating a 10-centrifuge cascade in a step forward in uranium enrichment; despite Western fears it is seeking atom bombs.
- Iran Press News reported that a member of 7th Majlis (Islamic Parliaments Assembly) confessed that influence peddlers have permeated the Islamic Parliaments Assembly.
- And finally, Ze'ev Schiff, Ha'aretz examined: What is spurring Ahmadinejad?