Wednesday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 3.29.2006:
A weaker UN Security Council draft statement on Iran being considered.
- The New York Times reported that European and American diplomats circulated a new and weaker draft statement to the Security Council but requires the director of the nuclear agency to report back on Iran's compliance with the Security Council statement in 30 days.
- U.S. Department of State reported that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice traveled to Germany, France and the United Kingdom to consult with trans-Atlantic partners on the Iranian nuclear program.
- Reuters reported that Germany said the EU could consider letting Iran pursue limited nuclear enrichment if the U.N. Security Council agreed.
- Xinhua reported that Russian Deputy Prime Minister and Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov said Iran should give a clear answer to Russia's offer to set up a uranium enrichment joint venture on Russian territory.
- FOX News reported that Iran has proposed setting up a nuclear fuel production facility within its borders with international help.
- Reuters reported that Iran's ambassador to the IAEA said the Islamic Republic's research on atomic enrichment was proceeding well and was on track to be expanded.
- Amir Taheri, The New York Post warned that the indecision and slow pace of action by the Western powers towards Iran amounts to a clear encouragement of the most radical factions in Tehran.
- Michael Ledeen, National Review Online reminded the US government is ignoring the fact that Iran is at war with the US and they are convincing the world that they have already won in Iraq. He also reported massive troop movements inside Iran designed to battle the under-reported ethnic unrest there.
- The Guardian reported that the promised talks between the US and Iran on the situation in Iraq have been put on hold.
- Mehran Riazaty reported that the Badr Organization in Iraq urged expulsion of US ambassador to Iraq, Zelmai Khalilzad.
- Haaretz reported that in a meeting with former Spanish prime minister Jose Maria Aznar, Iran's Ayatollah Ali Khamenei explained why Iran must declare war on Israel and the United States until they are completely destroyed.
- Middle East Newsline reported that Britain continues to approve the export of military and security equipment to the Islamic republic.
- Iran Focus reported that Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps forces in western and south-western Iran close to the Iraqi border have been put on a heightened state of alert.
- News Max reported that Reza Pahlavi said he is "totally against" a U.S. military strike against Iran's nuclear facilities.'
- Zaneirani, an Iranian blogger, asked why sympathizers of the Iranian regime have the permission to live in the U.S. while others get the black stamp in their passport!
- Reuters reported that a cargo plane crashed west of Tehran.
- Amnesty International reported on the imminent execution of Fatemeh Haghighat-Pajouh.