Friday, June 24, 2005

Ahmadinejad vs. Khatami

Iranian blogger, Hoder (reformist): published just prior to the election.
Let me give an example of how an Ahmadinejad government can affect people like me, or more particularly, me.

If he comes to power, which seems to be very likely due to wide-spread middle-class apathy, he would bring back the partisan intelligence officials to the ministry of information, the same people who stopped from leaving Iran last week.

Then the friendly and knowledgeable officer who interviewed me in Tehran and asked me to write something, explaining my 'controversial' positions and posts, could easily be replaced by a violent, ignorant guy without any knowledge about blogs and Internet.

Then instead of a four hour of relaxed and reasonable conversation, he would detain me, beat me and keep me in an undisclosed location for at least a week, and would make me write hundreds of pages of forced confessions against my friends, family and myself.

Instead of letting me go, he would introduce me to Saeed Mortazavi, the beloved Tehran's chief prosecute and the person responsible for the death of Zahra Kazemi.

Basically, one of the greatest achievement by Khatami was a major change in goals and methods used by the intelligence community and Ahmadinejad's administration could simply reverse that.