Tuesday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 3.28.2006:
Iranian military on alert.
- Rooz Online reported that military, intelligence, security and police forces in Iran have been put on alert during the Persian New Year holidays and that all leaves have been suspended.
- Reuters reported that a senior Iranian official said military strikes against Iran's nuclear sites would not destroy the Islamic republic's uranium enrichment activities, which could be easily moved and restarted.
- Rooz Online has learned that a number of reformist groups in Iran have sent a confidential letter to ayatollah Khamenei regarding Iran’s nuclear issue, calling on him to prevent the country from falling into more serious crisis.
- Rooz Online reported that while Iranians around the world celebrated the Persian New Year its prisons are full of political and religious dissidents.
- Mehran Riazaty examined the statement by the head of Supreme Council for the Islamic Revolution in Iraq (SCIRI), Abdul Aziz Hakim when he said that Iran isn't interfering in internal Iraqi affairs.
- RIA Novosti reported that Iran may continue nuclear talks with Moscow.
- MosNews reported that U.S. and Russian diplomats were meeting in a new bid to end the impasse over a UN response to Iran’s controversial nuclear program.