Tuesday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 6.6.2006:
What the Iranian regime really wants.
- The Washington Post reported that a senior Iranian official said: "What we need is an American president who will follow the example of Richard Nixon going to China."
- Reuters reported that the incentives to be offered on to Iran include a proposal to allow Tehran to purchase aircraft parts from Boeing Co. and Airbus.
- SFGate reported that the U.S. is counting on China as mediator with Iran.
- DEBKAfile reported that despite the tough talk between the US and Iran, a secret dialogue is afoot somewhere in the world.
- BBC News reported that the United States has added Iran to its list of countries that could face sanctions over their failure to tackle trafficking in people.
- Payvand published the full text of Akbar Ganji's 2006 Golden Pen of Freedom Acceptance Speech.
- Alan Peters, AntiMullah considered what group will fill the power vacuum left after the regime falls.
- Chicago Tribune reported on recent US efforts to use radio and TV broadcasts to foment change in Iran.
- Rooz Online reported that Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s advisor Mohammad Ali Ramin said of the Jews: "they were the source for such deadly disease as the plague and typhus. This is because the Jews are very filthy people."
- Rooz Online reviewed the past year since Ahmadinejad came to power and the two-pillar approach taken by the Iranian hardliners.
- Rooz Online reported the first reactions in Iran to the US proposal for direct talks with the regime.
- Ilan Berman, AFPC released an Iran Strategy Brief: Who is Mahmoud Ahmadinejad?
- The Economist reported on Iran's uppity minorities.