Thursday, March 02, 2006

A political prisoners letter from Evin prison

Iran Press News: Translation by Banafsheh Zand-Bonazzi.
Bina Darab-Zand, activist political prisoner in a letter to the warden of Evin prison wrote: "Today is approximately 20 months that I am being held captive by the Islamic regime. The majority of my detention has been served in prisons headed by you and during this period I have been under the most horrific psychological and physical pressure and torture; I have, till today, maintained my silence and have limited my demands to what all of us, political prisoners want, which is the proper separation of political prisoners from the criminals, the proper classification of charges and our unconditional release, of course. I've never so much as mentioned the 60 days of solitary in ward 209, which is, in and of itself, evidence of psychological and physical tortures. READ MORE

In my 3-month-long detention in ward 7 of Evin prison, I was brutally attacked twice, by common criminals, murderers, rapist and such. In spite of support from friends, family and a significant number of human rights activists, I maintained my silence. When your deputy, Ali Mohammadi illegally ordered to have me transferred to Rejaiishahr's prison, I was sent, once again, to the criminal ward; I was forced to endure 6 months in the company of the most dangerous elements in prison, who are each addicted to various horrifying drugs, are either HIV positive or have full-blown AIDS, Hepatitis or Tuberculosis. Then again, I kept quiet. At the end of those 6 months, I was sent again, to ward 6 of Rejaiishahr where I was attacked a few more times and an attempt was made on my life...still I said nothing.

Many more such incidents and transfers later, on February 23rd, visitors day, during the usual security check and inspection at the door of the visiting area, my wife was subjected to a search that physically defiled and dishonored her; your agents also harangued, insulted and abused her. This has ultimately pushed my patience to the limit and I am forced to tell you that in my 30 yearlong campaigns, I had never felt such contempt. I have never even treated my enemies with the contempt and insolence that merits such an affront, nor would I ever insult or berate the innocent families of those who have wronged me for fear of unfair retaliation at the hands of frustrated people who may, with all the best intentions, want to harm them to show their support for me.

It is for this reason that I will never permit you or your agents to either insult or assault members of my family again. As such, I, Bina Darab-Zand, son of Amir-Houshang, detainee of cell number one of ward 350 of Evin prison, protest against your agents' appalling and confrontational behavior and refuse any further visits with my wife and other family members, if this is what they will have to endure. SHAME ON YOU."