Thursday's Daily Briefing on Iran
DoctorZin reports, 4.27.2006:
Iran Freedom Act Passes The House.
- Vital Perspective reported that the Iran Freedom Support Act overwhelmingly passed in the House by a margin of 397-21. When will the Senate act on its version on the bill?
- Reuters reported that eleventh hour talks between ElBaradei and Iran's nuclear energy chief ended without public comments.
- CBS News reported that Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said "The Americans should know that if they invade Iran, their interests around the world would be harmed. Iran will respond double-fold to any attack."
- Mehran Riazaty reported that two years ago, the Ansar of Hezbollah said the same thing as what Ayatollah Khamenei said today. “If enemies attack interests of Iran, no matter how small this attack would be, we will endanger all of their interests all over the world.”
- Rooz Online reported that Iran has another surprise likely tomorrow, as the UNSC meets: the discovery of vast resources of uranium some where in the south of Iran.
- View London reported that the prime minister's spokesman said that Downing Street is taking the threat posed by Iran "very seriously."
- The Guardian published anti-Iraq war columnist who argued that Iran does pose a threat in every way Iraq did not.
- Reuters reported that Jack Straw said that China's backing on Iran is crucial.
- The Washington Times reported that Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice expressed concern yesterday about the case of a high-ranking Iranian official who arrived last month in the United States on a green card.
- The Herald reported that three former Iranian national footballers warned Iran may try to exploit the World Cup.
US Hostage Taker awarded "a UN Champion of the Earth!"
- Anne Bayefsky, The National Review reported that the UN honored with a 2006 "Champion of the Earth" award, the former spokesperson for the US Embassy hostage takers in Tehran.
- Rooz Online discussed: Is the current slogan and rhetoric advanced by the government media, “nuclear energy is our absolute right" a true reflection of the needs of the people?
- CNN News reported on the immense pride that many Iranians feel having joined the global nuclear club.
- Rooz Online reported that France has refused to agree on the new appointment of Ali Ahani as Iran's new ambassador to their country.
- Rooz Online published an interview with French Foreign Minister Philippe Douste-Blazy.
- Rooz Online reported on the increase of executions by the "Compassionate Government" of Ahmadinejad.
- Walid Phares, LebanonNewsWire warned that Syria and Iran still control Lebanon.
- Richard Miniter, The New York Sun reported that Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, America's chief nemesis in Iraq, boldly emerged from the shadows in an unprecedented videotape released yesterday.
- Memri published a video and translation in which Ahmadinejad elaborates on his plan for the Jews.
- No Blood for Sauerkraut published a parody of the DontAttackIran.org website.
- A cartoon: Ahmadinejad has a solution for Iran.