Sunday, February 20, 2005

Special Analysis: The CIA's 2005 Briefing

Dan Darling is at it again, WindsofChange.net:

CIA Director Porter Goss delivered his Global Intelligence Challenges testimony to the Senate Select Intelligence Committee today and while media reports have contained the basic gist of his statements, I think it’s best to view his relevant statements (and those of FBI director Mueller) in their entirety rather than in a sound-byte fashion.

One of the questions I’m often asked about these CIA statements is just how accurate several of these are. By way of contrast, let’s look at Tenet’s briefing on February 24, 2004 and see how what he said measured up. Then I’ll go on to Porter Goss’ 2005 comments, and add some thoughts of my own as we do a quick tour of the globe’s existing and emerging threats. I’ll conclude with some thoughts on intelligence reports, weather reports, and the growing dilemma of the modern age.

George Tenet Briefing, 2004
* Iraq
* Russia
* Iran

Porter Goss Briefing, 2005
* Al-Qaeda: Porter Goss’ Thoughts - And Mine
* Al-Qaeda’s Chemical/Biological Threat
* Afghanistan
* Iraq
* North Korea
* Iran
* Russia
* Other Threats and Areas of Concern

Some Closing Thoughts


He writes so much, so fast, I miss many of his reports. God I love his work.

Here are a few more of his recent reports: